Jim Collins – THE Jim Collins – asks us 7 questions that help us move from “Good to Great” and beyond great.
1-What Cause do you serve with Level 5 Ambition?
- The essence of leadership is service – service to people/cause
- Ambition channeled outwards to a cause/something bigger/more important than we are
- Level 4 leaders inspire people to follow them but Level 5 leaders inspire people to follow a cause.
- Infuse your enterprise with some greater purpose – commitment to service is not a sector choice but a life choice.
- To serve is to live.
2-Will you settle for being a good leader or will you grow to become a great leader?
- Leadership is not personality, position, power.
- Leadership is the art of getting people to want to do what must be done. – Eisenhower
- You need to know what must be done
- Its an art.
- Most great leaders GROW into their leadership – they don’t start that way
3-How can you reframe failure as Growth in pursuit of a BHAG?
- “I am not failing, I’m growing…”
- What is the other side of the coin of success? Its not failure, its growth.
- Have you ever felt a profound sense of inadequacy? If so – how do you reframe that for growth?
4-How can you help others succeed?
- We succeed and are at our very best when we help others succeed.
- Three Key things
- Service, Success, Growth
- If you could build a culture that has service/cause/purpose that you are willing to sacrifice for and has challenges in the forms of BHAGS that help you grown, and communal success – that is how you build meaning.
5-Have you found your Hedgehog – your personal hedgehog?
- Three circles: Passion, What You Are Made For, Economic Engine
- When you lead out of your hedgehog – you lead out of the wellspring that allows you to persist.
- True creators stay in the game. We cannot control/predict every hand we get dealt in life.
- Refuse to leave the game – play every hand you get to the best of your ability.
- How many of you have in some point in life just been flat out decked? That’s when you have to stay in the game.
6-Will you build your unit – your minibus – into a pocket of greatness?
- How did the good-to-great leaders do it? They didn’t focus on their career? They focused on their “unit” and developing their unit around them.
- Being a “first-to” leader not a “first-what” leader. Figure out who should be in the key seats in the bus.
- Be rigorous – not ruthless. Take care of your people.
- Take care of your people not your career.
- Greatest leaders – find a way to make an impact and contribution on PEOPLE
7-How will you change the lives of others?
- How will some people’s lives be better and different because you were here on this earth?
- Life is people…. Be useful