My name is Chris Woznicki. I received a B.A. in Philosophy at UCLA. I received my M.A. in Theology (Biblical Studies Emphasis) and my M.A. in Intercultural Studies (missiology) at Fuller Theological Seminary. I undertook my PhD in systematic theology at Fuller Seminary under Oliver Crisp. I am very interested in Analytic theology and the theology of Jonathan Edwards and T.F. Torrance. I am also interested in the theological anthropology, atonement, and prayer. I was the College Ministry Director at The Church at Rocky Peak for 6 years. I teach Systematic Theology at Fuller Seminary and at Ridley College in Australia. I am also a founding contributor of Theology News. I am currently the regional training associate for the Los Angeles Region of Young Life.
My calling is to equip the church for the sake of the missio Dei and my desire is to see Christians live resurrection lives in whatever context God has placed them in. I hope that this blog helps some people to do that. I love teaching the Bible and helping people live out missional lives. I’m very privileged get to do this in both a ministry setting and an academic setting. I love learning, I am a bibliophile. My bookshelf is filled with systematic theology, philosophy, and biblical studies books. Don’t take this blog too seriously, because I don’t…
I love spending time with my wife Amelia and my two daughters. In my spare time I enjoy reading, writing, training for obstacle course racing, hiking, and working from Starbucks.
My Academic CV.
Select Journal Publications
- “Revisiting the Somatic Death Objection to Penal Substitution: Original Sin and the Nature of Consequences” in Irish Theological Quarterly 1 (Forthcoming, 2022).
- “Begin at the Beginning”: Method in Christological Anthropology and T.F. Torrance’s Fallen Human Nature View” in Perichoresis (Forthcoming, 2021).
- “Did God Answer that Prayer? Spiritual Perception and the Epistemology of Petitionary Prayer” in Pneuma 1 (2021).
- “Dancing Around the Theological Black Box: The Problem and Metaphysics of Perichoresis” in Philosophia Christi 1 (2020)
- “The Awe of the Lord is the Beginning of Knowledge: The Significance of Awe for Theological Epistemology” in Expository Times 4 (2020).
- “’One Can’t Believe Impossible Things’: A New Defense of Penal Substitutionary Atonement in Light of the Legal Concepts of Vicarious Liability and Respondeat Superior” in The Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 2 (2019).
- “The Metaphysics of Jonathan Edwards’s ‘Personal Narrative’: Continuous Creation, Personal Identity, and Spiritual Development” in Neue Zeitschrift fur Systematische Theologie und Religionsphilosophie 2 (2019).
- “What are we Doing When We Pray? Rekindling a Reformation Theology of Petitionary Prayer” in Calvin Theological Journal 2 (2018).
- “Refocusing the Image: Domestic Violence, Refugees, and the Imago Dei in John Calvin’s Pastoral Theology” in McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry 19 (2018). [Co-written with Jesse Gentile]
- “Peter Martyr Vermigli’s Account of Petitionary Prayer: A Reformation Alternative to Contemporary Two-Way Contingency Accounts” in Philosophia Christi1 (2018).
- “The One and the Many: The Metaphysics of Human Nature in T.F. Torrance’s Doctrine of Atonement” in Journal of Reformed Theology 2 (2018).
- “Do we Believe in Consequences? Revisiting the “Incoherence Objection’ to Penal Substitution” in Neue Zeitschrift fur Systematische Theologie und Religionsphilosophie 2 (2018).
- “‘Thus Saith the Lord’: Edwardsean Anti-Criterialism and the Physicalist Problem of Resurrection Identity” in TheoLogica: An International Journal for Philosophy of Religion and Philosophical Theology1 (2018).
- “Amo Ut Intelligam (I Love So that I May Understand): The Role of Love in T.F. Torrance’s Theological Epistemology” in The Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 2 (2017).
- “Is Prayer Redundant? Calvin and the Early Reformers on the Problem of Petitionary Prayer” in The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 2 (2017)
Select Chapters in Books
- “T.F. Torrance and Atonement” in Torrance and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Evaluation. Edited by Myk Habets and R. Lucas Stamps. Bellingham: Lexham Press, 2021.
- “Amyraldism and Penal Substitution” in Unlimited Atonement: Proposals. Edited by Scott Harrower and Michael Bird. Grand Rapids: Kregel Academic, 2021.
- “Introduction to ‘The End of the Mystery of the Incarnation is the Glory of God,’” “Introduction to ‘The Method is Taking Up Fallen Humanity,’” and “Introduction to ‘The Fruits of the Incarnation’” in The Doctrine of the Incarnation Opened by Edward Irving, Abridged with Responses. Edited by Alexander Irving. Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2021.
- “Regeneration and Identity in Jonathan Edwards’s “Personal Narrative” in Regeneration, Revival, and Creation: Religious Experience and the Purposes of God in the Thought of Jonathan Edwards. Edited by Chris Chun and Kyle Strobel. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2020.
- “To Hell with the Enlightenment: Jonathan Edwards and the Doctrine of Hell,” in Jonathan Edwards within the Enlightenment: Controversy, Experience, and Thought. Edited by Daniel N. Gullota and John T. Lowe. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2020.
Select Workshops, Presentation, Lectures
- “Analyzing Doctrine” in “Analyzing Doctrine by Oliver Crisp Book Panel” Evangelical Philosophical Society at the American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, November 2020. (Contributor and Panel Organizer)
- “On Human Natures: Psychological Science in the Service of Theology – Restoring Human Nature” TheoPsych Workshop at Fuller Theological Seminary, July 2020.
- “Priests of Creation: T.F. Torrance’s Theological Anthropology as a Basis for Scientific Inquiry” Tyndale House Fellowship Christian Doctrine Conference, June 2019.
- “Are We Free to Pray? On the Freedom Necessary for Petitionary Prayer” Tyndale House Fellowship Philosophy of Religion Conference, June 2019.
- “The Metaphysics of Jonathan Edwards’s ‘Personal Narrative” Regeneration, Revival, and Creation: Religious Experience and the Purposes of God in the Thought of Jonathan Edwards, Jonathan Edwards Center Inaugural Conference, January 2019.
- “Image is Everything: The Imago Dei and its Importance for the Church” Fuller Theological Seminary’s Analytic Theology for Theological Formation Pastor’s Colloquium: The Beginning and the End, Human Beings in Light of Analytic Theology, May 2018
- “Hebraic and Pannenbergian Understandings of Truth: A Response to Yoram Hazony” The Herzl Institute’s Young Scholars Workshop in Bible and Philosophy, June 2017.
- “Love in Broken World: Analytic Theology and Pastoral Ministry Roundtable Discussion” Fuller Theological Seminary’s Analytic Theology for Theological Formation Pastor’s Colloquium, May 2017.
- “Bigger, Better, Whiter: Cultural Identity Formation in the San Fernando Valley (1900–1960) and Ecclesial Entailments” AAR Western Regional Meeting, March 2017.
- “Amo Ut Intelligam (I Love so That I May Understand): The Role of Love in Religious Epistemology” Biola University Center for Christian Thought 5th Annual CCT Conference, May 2016.
Select Awards, Grants, and Special Recognitions
- “IVP Early-Career Philosopher of Religion 2019,” Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research, 2019.
- “IVP Early-Career Philosopher of Religion 2018,” Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research, 2018.
- “Young Scholars Workshop in Bible and Philosophy,” Travel grant and stipend from the John Templeton Foundation and the Herzl Institute, Jerusalem.
- “Prayer, Love, and Human Nature: Analytic Theology for Theological Formation Scholarship,” Fuller Theological Seminary, 2016–2020.
- Nominee, Donald Kalish Prize, UCLA Philosophy Department, 2008–2009
Select Popular Writings, Podcasts, Videos
- “Review of The Doctrine of Creation by Bruce Ashford and Craig Bartholomew” for Sapientia: A Periodical of the Henry Center (March, 2021)
- Various Articles for Coalición por el Evangelio (2020): “¿Qué Significa ser hechos a Imagen de Dios? (What Does it Mean to be Made in the Image of God?), “¿Qué dice la Biblia sobre el alma? (What does the Bible Say about the Soul?).
- Founding Contributor to “Theology.News: Current Events.Ancient Field” 2019–Present. Located at: ( http://theology.news )
- Various Podcast Interviews on The London Lyceum (2019-2020): “The Atonement,” “Prayer,” and “Theological Anthropology.”
- “Prayer, Free Will, and Determinism,” Podcast Interview on The Reluctant Theologian, October 2019. Located at: (https://www.rtmullins.com/podcast/episode/22642a82/episode-18-prayer-free-will-and-determinism-with-chris-woznicki)
- “Why I am Not (Yet) a Conditionalist, Part 2” Podcast Interview on Rethinking Hell, February 2019. Located at: (http://rethinkinghell.com/2019/02/17/episode-119-why-i-am-not-yet-a-conditionalist-part-2-with-chris-woznicki/)
- Various Articles for Gospel Coalition Canada (2018): “The ‘Other” True Meaning of Christmas”, “Can Legal Philosophy Help us Make Sense of Penal Substitution?”, “Jonathan Edwards on Penal Substitution: A Resource for Faith Seeking Understanding,”
- Regular Blogging for the Analytic Theology Project at Fuller Theological Seminary, 2016–2018. Located at: (http://analytictheologyfuller.org/blog/)
- “When we Think About God: Analytic Theology in Practice” for Fuller Studio, January 2017. Located at: (https://fullerstudio.fuller.edu/when-we-think-about-god/) and (https://youtu.be/aDUSOWdQuu8)