Church Society are delighted to announce this new essay competition in honour of Gerald Bray. Professor Bray is a world-leading evangelical Anglican theologian and church historian who has faithfully served as Editor of Churchman for 35 years. The prize is designed to encourage new evangelical authors. The winner will receive £300 and the winning essay will be published in Churchman. Essays should be 5-7,000 words in length, including footnotes, and may be from any theological discipline and on any subject, but must be in accordance with the aims of Churchman as described below.
The deadline for submissions is 1 October 2019.
Churchman is a journal for the Church of England and global Anglicanism. Each issue aims to promote the faith of the Holy Scriptures and such teachings of the ancient Fathers and Councils of the Church as are agreeable to the said Scriptures. In particular such doctrine is to be found in the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, The Book of Common Prayer, and the Ordinal, in line with the doctrinal position of Church Society.
Churchman is a journal committed to excellence in upholding high academic standards in its articles, book reviews and editorial.
Churchman is an ecclesiastical journal that aims to speak to the pastoral needs of the contemporary church.
Churchman aims to equip ministers, students and lay people to persuade others of the eternal truths of our faith in Jesus Christ and the need for them to be applied today for the renewal of the church and the conversion of the world.
• Entries must be submitted electronically in BOTH Word and pdf formats to email@example.com
with ’Gerald Bray Essay Prize’ in the subject line by 1st October, 2019.
• Entries must be accompanied by the entry form available from the Church Society website and must include a signed declaration that the essay is entirely the entrant’s own work.
• Entrants must not have previously had an article published in Churchman, but may have contributed book reviews.
• Entries must not have been previously published elsewhere or be in the process of consideration for publication elsewhere.
• Entering the competition shall be taken as submission of the article for publication in Churchman but any such publication shall be subject to the judgment of the editorial board.
• Entries should follow the Churchman house style. Guidelines can be downloaded from the Church Society website: churchsociety.org
• The judges’ decision shall be taken as final.